Friday, March 23, 2007

Welcome

Hi anybody and everybody who visits my blog. March 27, 2007 is the day that I am hoping will end my power struggle with depression.
Let me give you a little background, I am a 44 year old married male with one son who is five. I have been suffering from depression and schizoaffective disorder since I was 15. Every treatment and mis-diagnosis has brought me to this date. Several suicide attempts, several hospitalizations have brought to this point in my life.
I am now undergoing surgery that implants a device to stimulate my vagus nerve. Let's hope this works.
So...... if anybody has experience with this or is in the same position I am in or just wants to post a reply, feel free. I'll do my best to return your reply.

2 comments:

herb said...

Hi Paul,

I just happened upon your blog and want to wish you the best of luck and wellness.

You are not alone in this adventure.

Should you have some time you might consider perusing our website and message forum and from there I can lead you on to other resources and information relating to the VNS Therapy for TRD.

The site name is: VNSdepression.com

The link to the site is: http://www.vnsdepression.com

I am a very long time support person to my spouse who was one of the earliest study subjects for VNS in its use for depression. Her results have been “pretty remarkable.”

Once again, I wish you luck. I endorse patient education and I encourage hope and persistence.

Warmly,
Herb
VNSdepression.com


.

Paul said...

Hi Herb,
Thank you for the well wishing. I was pretty proud of the research I did concerning VNS until I got your URL. In my search I never came accross your website. I believed I did some in depth research before I would go ahead with such a radical new surgery. Like I said in my blog, I am at my wits end with my TRD. My family is just barely hanging in there and hope and pray with me this is the answer.
I am glad to hear your wife's results were "pretty remarkable". I specifically am hoping for a miracle. There are many expectations I have for this surgery....... maybe to many.
Thanks for your well wishing. I intend to keep this blog updated as a journal of my accomplishments and (hopefully not) negative reaction.

Thank you for your reply. Hope to hear from you soon.

Paul